15 Fun Things to do in Ocean Springs for Adults
September 8th 2022
In fact, many activities, tours, and attractions are actually geared towards adults, so finding things to do during your grownup getaway is easy! Whether you are looking for ideas for solo, couple, or group vacations to Oceans Springs, Keep reading and discover 15 Fun Things to do in Ocean Springs for Adults, and make this trip to the “City of Discovery” one that won’t soon be forgotten!
Table of Contents
- Museums & Galleries
- Visit Beauvoir
- Live Entertainment
- Escape from an Escape Room
- Gulf Islands National Seashore
- Local Parks & Nature
- Take a Tour on an Airboat
- Boat Tours
- Day Trips & Excursions
Museums & Galleries
Appreciating the arts is the perfect thing to do in Ocean Springs for adults
Ocean Springs genuinely values the arts, and is considered by many to be the hub for the arts scene in Mississippi. There are so many places downtown, and beyond, where visitors can enjoy this creativity for themselves! Below are a few of the top galleries and museums you don’t want to miss when in Ocean Springs:
- Walter Anderson Museum of Art: The Walter Anderson Museum of Art works to preserve the work of artist and philosopher, Walter Anderson. Ranked among the top artists of the 20th century, Anderson’s paintings, writings, drawings, prints, and sculptures are truly inspiring.
- Ocean Springs Museum of History: Delve into the history and culture of the City of Ocean Springs at the Ocean Springs Museum of History! This exceptional museum houses everything from Native American artifacts, to historical documents.
- The GI Museum: The GI Museum was created to remember the generations of Americans who served and fought for our country. This amazing museum has over 16,000 pieces of preserved memorabilia, educational programs, and spectacular special events throughout the year.
- Ohr-O’Keefe Museum of Art: Located right next door in Biloxi, the Ohr-O’Keefe Museum of Art is definitely worth the trek! This museum preserves the legacy of Biloxi potter, George E. Ohr, through displaying not only his work, but works which embody Ohr’s creative spirit.
- Coast Mississippi Mardi Gras Museum: This magical museum showcases over 300 years of Mardi Gras history through costumes, memorabilia, photographs, and more! Located in historic downtown Biloxi, this is one of the best things to do near Ocean Springs for adults looking to let the good times roll!
Image of tour guides at Beauvoir in period dress from Wikimedia
A trip to Beauvoir will have you feel as if you’ve been transported to another time! The elegant and enormous Beauvoir estate was the post-war home of Jefferson Davis, and this awe-inspiring complex sits on a massive 52 acres. Designated as a National Historic Landmark, Beauvoir illustrates the area’s rich history, and a tour of the property allows access to the following:
- Jefferson Davis Presidential Library and Museum
- Beauvoir Home
- Beauvoir Memorial Cemetery
- Tomb of the Unknown Confederate Soldier
- Oyster Bayou
- Historical Cottages
- Beauvoir Gift Shop
- And MORE!
Roll the dice and test your luck at a nearby casino
If you’re looking for fun things to do in Ocean Springs for adults, you just hit the jackpot! With a dozen casinos, gaming available 24-hours a day, and entertainment, dining, and shopping galore, visiting a casino in neighboring Biloxi is a must. These waterfront casinos have everything from slots to baccarat, so put on your best poker face, and head to one of these fabulous casinos:
Ocean Springs hosts everything from massive musical festivals to hilarious comedy shows
From concerts featuring world-famous superstars, to local bands playing at downtown restaurants and bars, there is no shortage of fantastic live entertainment when in Ocean Springs, MS. And if you’re in search of some local flare, you’re in the right place! It’s not uncommon to to hear live music every weekend, if not daily, at one of these establishments in downtown Ocean Springs:
- The Government St. Grocery
- Mississippi Juke Joint
- Murky Waters BBQ
- Glory Bound Gyro Co.
- The Greenhouse on Porter
- Boots & Spurs
- The Julep Room
And that’s just to name a few! Not only that, the musicians at each venue bring something different to the table. For example, The Office Bar is known for hosting solo acts like Gram Rea, a professional violinist, while The Government St. Grocery loves to jam out with Blackwater Brass, a 10-piece jazz band.
Ocean Springs, MS, is also home to the Trent Lott Performing Arts Theater, which offers a whole different type of live entertainment. Featuring performances by The Vienna Boys Choir and Thacker Mountain Radio, this is the perfect place for plays, musicals, concerts, and more! This theater is nearly 100 years old, and is located in historic and beautiful downtown Ocean Springs.
Lastly, we would be remiss not to mention the incredible live entertainment that takes place in neighboring Biloxi’s charming casinos. Their lineups range from top-notch local talents, to nationally and internationally-known performing artists. A few of the artists who have performed here in the past, as well as some who are slated to perform in the future, are listed below:
- LeAnn Rimes
- The Monkees
- Reba McEntire
- K.C. & The Sunshine Band
- Collective Soul
Escape from an Escape Room
Group solving clues in an Ocean Springs escape room
See if you have what it takes to escape a puzzling, yet exciting, escape room! One of the most fun and unique things to do in Ocean Springs for adults, escape rooms are themed rooms that contain clues and puzzles one must solve before time runs out in order to win. This is a fantastic way to test your intellect, time management skills, teamwork, and problem-solving abilities in an exhilarating way!
Gulf Islands National Seashore
Stunning view of Davis Bayou located within Gulf Islands National Seashore courtesy of NPS.gov
Gulf Islands National Seashore is America’s largest seashore, starting in Cat Island, Mississippi, and ending in Fort Walton Beach, Florida. The Mississippi portion of the seashore includes one mainland section in Ocean Springs, as well as five barrier islands located approximately 8-10 miles offshore. The five barrier islands consist of:
- Cat Island
- Horn Island
- Petit Bois Island
- West Petit Bois Island
- Ship Island
While the islands are only accessible by boat, the mainland portion, known as the Davis Bayou Area, is easy to get to and offers plenty of amazing outdoor adventures! Top activities here include boating, picnicking, camping, hiking, and wildlife viewing. Just be sure to stop by the William M. Colmer Visitor Center while you’re there and check out their awesome Gulf Islands exhibits, a short film, boardwalk trail, and more!
Local Parks & Nature
Couple enjoying the great outdoors in beautiful Ocean Springs
Even after you’ve explored Gulf Islands National Seashore, there are still tons of outdoor adventures to be had. Ocean Springs is home to some fantastic parks and preserves that are a nature-lover’s dream! Check out one of these awesome areas below for an unforgettable retreat into nature:
- Fort Maurepas City Park and Nature Preserve: This luscious park is right across from the beach, and as the highest point on the Mississippi Gulf Coast, it provides scenic views as far as the eye can see! Not only that, this park was the former historic site of Fort Maurepas, and has a bronze, life-size statue of Pierre LeMoyne, Sieur d’Iberville.
- Front Beach: Front Beach is a beautiful beach area in Ocean Springs, perfect for swimming, sunbathing, and incredible views! There is even a walking path that connects to Ocean Springs Pier, which is great for fishing, wildlife viewing, or just taking a scenic stroll.
- Fontainebleau Nature Trail: The Fontainebleau Nature Trail is a 1.6-mile loop located within the Mississippi Sandhill Crane National Wildlife Refuge near Ocean Springs. This refuge protects the last remaining wet pine savanna in the country, as well as the rare Mississippi sandhill crane. With plenty of accessible overlooks, this trail yields breathtaking views of Davis Bayou, fantastic flora and fauna, and more!
Golfing is great for all skill levels.
Paddleboarding is one of the top things to do in Ocean Springs for adults, as it is the perfect combination of fitness and relaxation. This is also a great way to reconnect with nature, as you explore the local waters at your leisure. Be sure to keep an eye out for wonderful wildlife like dolphins, pelicans, turtles, and more!
Take a Tour on an Airboat
Group spots an alligator on an exciting Ocean Springs airboat tour! Image from Wikimedia
Airboat tours are one of the best things to do in Ocean Springs for adults looking to channel their wild side! Participants will zip and zoom through the luscious swamps and bayous for a high-speed, adrenaline-pumping adventure. This is a fun and unique way to learn about the local ecosystem, history, and culture of the area. Don’t forget to keep your eyes peeled for alligators!
Angler reels in their catch aboard an Ocean Springs fishing charter
One of the great things about visiting the Mississippi Gulf Coast is the abundance of fresh and savory seafood, and of opportunities to reel in some for yourself! Fishing from piers, bridges, and the shore are popular options for anglers in Ocean Springs, but most people prefer the comfort and convenience of a fishing charter.
Fishing charters come in all shapes and sizes, and are perfect for both the professional angler, as well as the novice. Inshore fishing charters are popular, as the area is surrounded by bays and inlets full of fish! Fish you will typically target on an inshore fishing charter include redfish, speckled trout, flounder, and more.
Deep sea fishing charters are another popular thing to do in Ocean Springs for adults, as they take you out into the Gulf of Mexico to target some pretty massive fish. Bottom fishing is a common technique used aboard a deep sea fishing charter, and targets fish that live near reefs and close to the sea floor. Popular types of fish you may catch on an offshore charter include:
- Red Snapper
- And MORE!
Dolphin spotted on an Ocean Springs boat tour
When vacationing along Mississippi’s Gulf Coast, it’s imperative to get out on the gorgeous open water! This is a great way to see the city from a whole new perspective, and gain a deeper understanding of the area. Not only that, Ocean Springs boat tours are a ton of fun, and come in many forms! Below are popular boat tours in Ocean Springs, to take this vacation to the max:
- Dolphin Cruises
- Sightseeing Cruises
- Dinner Cruises
- Shrimping Trips
- Sailing Charters
- And More!
Day Trips & Excursions
Image of Fort Mass on Ship Island, located just south of Ocean Springs, from Wikimedia
Another special feature of Ocean Springs is its location. Positioned near multiple fantastic destinations, Ocean Springs day trips and excursions are a great way to explore the Mississippi Gulf Coast, as well as the surrounding areas. For example, Ocean Springs is less than an hour west of Mobile, and about an hour and a half east of New Orleans. Both of these lively cities are within driving distance, and make for the perfect day trip, or even a weekend getaway!
For those wanting to stay closer to Ocean Springs, an excursion to Ship Island is the way to go. Located about 11 miles offshore, Ship Island is a barrier island that is part of the Gulf Islands National Seashore. The beautiful beaches are the main draw here, with stunning white-sand and gorgeous Gulf waters, but that’s not all that attracts travelers to this remote island.
Ship Island is also home to Fort Massachusetts. This fort was built in the 1800s to protect a deep water pass which allowed access to New Orleans. Now, the fort is open for viewing, with free, guided tours available of the facility. The only way to get to Ship Island is by boat, but luckily, excursions and ferry services are available for those wanting to explore this wonderful island for themselves.
Soar high in the sky over beautiful Ocean Springs on an exciting zipline excursion
One of the most exhilarating things to do in Ocean Springs for adults, ziplining is a sure-fire way to feel a surge of adrenaline! Thrill-seekers love the Tree Tops course, as participants will soar over 50 feet above ground. Not only that, ziplining provides amazing aerial views of the woods and wetlands that you can’t get anywhere else, and allows you to experience beautiful Ocean Springs in a whole new way.
Visiting an Ocean Springs brewery is a fun way to try the local flavor
The craft beer scene is thriving in Ocean Springs, with multiple breweries boasting some beautifully-brewed local beer. This is a great way to cool down and relax after soaking up the sun, and exploring the breathtaking natural beauty of the Mississippi Gulf Coast! One of the top things to do in Ocean Springs for adults, check out one of these local breweries, and raise the bar this vacation:
- Craft Advisory Brewing and Bistro in Ocean Springs, MS
- Hops and Growlers in Ocean Springs, MS
- Fort Bayou Brewing Company in Ocean Springs, MS
- Chandeleur Brewing Company in Gulfport, MS
- Lazy Magnolia in Kiln, MS
Exploring the local shops and boutiques is a must when in Ocean Springs, MS
Head to beautiful downtown Ocean Springs for a shopping experience like no other! Ocean Springs is known for its eclectic and unique shops and boutiques, where you can find everything from amazing artwork, to the perfect souvenir, to your new favorite cocktail dress. Some of the top shops can be found between Washington Avenue and Government Street, and include the following:
- Lee Tracy Boutique
- Chandeleur Outfitters
- Hillyer House
- Coastal Magpie
- Realizations, The Walter Anderson Shop
- The Bay Collection
As you can see, there are tons of things to do in Ocean Springs for adults, covering a wide range of interests and budgets. No matter if you are traveling for a girls’ trip, romantic getaway, or anything else in between, this coastal city has you covered! From zooming across bays and bayous on an adrenaline-pumping airboat tour, to taking it slow and soaking in the scenic views at Gulf Islands National Seashore, you are in for a remarkably good time when in outstanding Ocean Springs!